Monday, October 04, 2004

The President, An Angel and Some Madmen.

.

This I have to share with everyone. Last Wednesday night, we were just about to conclude dinner at the Sari Ratu Nasi Padang Restaurant in Plaza Indonesia, below the Grand Hyatt Jakarta when I noticed a man just about to sit at the table in front of us. He looked awfully like the next President of Indonesia, Susilo Bambang Yudhiyono.

True enough, it was him. Out of the blue, security men appeared and even a guy who introduced himself as the manager began directing the workers in the restaurant. I guess it was an unannounced dinner outing by the incoming First Family of Indonesia. A few more things that we noticed, we guessed the lady must be his wife, then a young man maybe in his early twenties sat next to him is probably his son and lo and behold, in front of the son must be an angel.

She must be the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life, maybe twenty years old or so and we sat there for the next half an hour or so looking at the backs of the future President, the future First Lady of Indonesia and their son and squarely at the face of what must surely be their daughter. The only word that I could use to describe her is, divine. At least I saw the president-elect first, my boss, who was facing the same direction as I was went for the jugular – he didn’t see him at all because he was looking at someone else. No prizes for guessing who it was. The other three who sat facing us were cursing their rotten luck and their whiplash-suffering necks.

That night we joked on how we could go about to get to call the man “daddy”. Talk about an angel. Talk about wishful thinking. Talk about madmen.

.