Friday, August 13, 2004

Birthday Crisis

.

Oh my Zod, crisis. Yes, oh my Zod. From Superman The Movie.

Lina’s birthday is next week. What do I get her? It would be hard if the question is what do you get a girl who has everything? No, that is certainly not the case. It’s more of a what do you get a lady who has pretty much what she needs but she surely would like to have more. Who doesn’t?

Nazzim and Sofia are no help. He suggested a table cloth.

“A table cloth? Why a table cloth?”

He just shrugged and said, “Well, for one, she would like one”. And smiled.

“How do you know that? She bought a zillion of those before we returned home four years ago, remember?” He smiled again.

Naahhhh, not a table cloth. Ooooo..., if there is one thing that is difficult about my better half, it’s getting her a birthday present. If I were really filthy rich I’d get her the Hope Diamond or the Crown Jewels or for heaven’s sake, I’ll get her the Tower of London to go along with the Crown Jewels.

But I’m not. I’ve tried buying her jewellery before, twice, but both times it was not a resounding success because, welllll…….., she simply didn’t like what I bought. Hmmm.., good thing I love her, so, for the next few times it was let’s go to Habib Jewels and you pick up what you like. Of course there is a price cap since my last name is not Vanderbilt, Mellon, Rockefeller or Rothschild. Neither is it Gates. In one of our forays into Pak Habib's store, she ended buying me a diamond ring. Yeah, me, a diamond ring. Oh my Zod.

It was too good to last. Last year she told me that she didn’t feel like she wanted jewellery for her birthday. For the love of me, I can’t recall what did I get her then. My pride prevents me from going to her and saying “Uh dear, what did I get you for your birthday last year?” I knew we got her a card and all of us signed it. Sofia was so excited about her mama’s birthday that she signed it “I love yoy, Mama”. Then she scribbled the tail of the “y” off and it looked somewhat like a “u”. Or a “u” that’s flipping it’s tail so fast. Both of them get excited over everyone else’s birthday.

Wait, there was one big success in my birthday present buying portfolio. The purse that she is using now. She liked it so much. But it was too much of a success that she refuses to part with it. I offered to buy her a new purse a while back but she said that she don’t want one since she likes the one that she has. Ai yai yai yai yai…….

Well, it seems like it’s Habib time again this year.

.