Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Life in the Fast Lanes

I have been neglecting my family for the past 2 weeks. You see, I have been practising bowling in preparation for the biggest event in my high school’s calender - the annual alumni bowling tournament!!!

We came in 6th out of 28 teams last year. Commendable, would have been better had I not fumbled, ha!! Rostam bowled well. Rano was the best among us and Haji Samat (plain old Samat then) carried his own weight. My fervent wish for this year is that I do not drag down the team with some poor scores. Wishful thinking? Hopefully not. Got a few pointers from Calvin (not Mr. Klein, just plain Calvin) at Endah Parade last night. Too little too late? Again, hopefully not.

Must remember to let the ball swing like a pendulum and right leg first, one, two, three, skid and throw. One, two, three, skid and throw, that should be easy enough. Skid and throw, skid and throw. Plant the left foot down first. Then throw.

Five boards to the right, and then another five boards. Or ten boards, it depends. Oh brother...!!

Use the fingers and shoulders only, as a pendulum and not the arms. Never the arms. Never the arms!!! Leave the arms alone!!!

Never manhandle the ball, after all, it does weight 15 lbs!!! Let the weight do the job. Hands under the ball (or at 12 o’clock as Calvin said), then just before it reaches bottom twist it just a bit (to 10 o’clock, as Calvin said) to get that hook just right.

Women and children first!! God, it is that complicated huh?

At least my thumb didn’t swell anymore like the first time I bowled again 2 weeks ago, oooh, after a hiatus of about maybe about 6 months. My wrist doesn’t hurt anymore. Neither do my shoulders, back and thighs. And this year, I won’t take Nazzim and Sofia with me as it would be impossible to concentrate on the game with their whereabouts on my mind too. That does not include things such as "Papa, can I have an icecream?" or "Papa, I got to go real bad" or "Papa, where’s adik?" The last one could get me in the biggest trouble with their mother since that one time I forgot her birthday a couple of years ago.

So, come to the Sunway Megalanes this Saturday, 7 August 2004 at 1330 Hours (that’s 1.30 pm for you landlubbers) and see why Shalin and Kenny Ang should not have any worries at all. What, me worry?