Monday, September 06, 2004

For The Want of Roti Canai...

.

I was a bad boy last Saturday. You see, I pretty much shouted at a lady who jumped queue. Well, pathetic, sort of.

I went to buy roti canai for breakfast. I put in my order for six roti canais with one of the workers and stood there waiting for them to complete my order. Then this lady came in, said that she wanted eight roti canai and stood there looking pretty and started giving instructions on how her roti canai should be fried, patted and wrapped. My spider sense (slap me silly and call me Parker!!!) started tingling and true enough, the roti canai counter man counted eight roti canais and proceeded to wrap them. And the other thing was, they have started on a batch of tosei (did I get that right?), which means that whoever is next will have to wait until they have completed the toseis (once again, is that right uh?) before they switch back to roti canai mode.

“Hello mamak, saya tunggul ka?" Looking at her, "Saya datang dulu la…… Apa ini, beraturla." Then to the mamak, " Saya punya enam, bukan lapan”, and I raised six fingers to show him what I meant.

There were some rather animated conversation between the mamak and his fellow worker, of which none I understood and a lot of head movements before it was established that I was in fact the rightful owner of that batch of roti canai. All the while I was bitching, that’s the only word I could use to describe me then, about people who simply think it is beyond them to queue. I got custody of the roti canai, paid for them and on my way out I noticed that the lady has was nowhere to be seen.

I must confess that I overreacted to the situation but people who jump queues simply pisses me off. We see that everyday, especially while driving. People who jump queue simply contribute to the traffic jam. If you do not want to be late for work, start early. It is that simple. Most Malaysians when they see a queue will think of how to overtake it. It is bad, rude, kurang ajar and there is nothing nice about doing it. But very very Malaysian. Oh, I do it sometimes but not everyday. I’m no angel but it’s not a habit. That lady simply assumed that she was next in line but I am not that invisible. I was two feet away from her and it is hard not to see me. I could have said nicely to the man and her that I was there before her but then I just decided to up the ante and do the stupid macho thing and raised my voice a few decibels to make my feelings known. Bad actually.

Anyway, she did a silly thing, I did another silly thing but it was a good thing that it ended there and then. Next time, when you want to buy roti canai, have a look around if there is a 5 foot 8 inch, 210 lb guy around. He could be buying roti canai too. He could have been there first. He might prefer that no one touches his roti canai, or even look at his roti canai. But then again, if you are 6 feet 3 inches and weigh 290 lbs with or without your socks, it does not really matter what that 200 lb shortie like or doesn't like, does it?

When I say pathetic at the beginning of this blog, I meant me. For the want of roti canai, everything civilised was lost.

.