Thursday, September 02, 2004

Look What You Done, Mr. Stork

.

For the last two weeks or so I have been up and down visiting my brother-in-law in University Malaya Medical Center (UMMC, formerly the University Hospital) and my mother-in-law in the Armed Forces Hospital in Kem Terendak, Melaka. I really really had to find the time to do so and my brother-in-law have found my visits very very unpredictable – I have appeared before him early in the morning or as late as midnight, that was on Merdeka Day’s eve. The patients at Menara Timur had a good view of the fireworks. If you want to be sick, be sick around Merdeka Day. And be admitted to the UMMC.

On the subject of being sick or close to it, I am facing a rather difficult, sometimes hilarious situation at the office. Both my geophysicist and geologist are expecting and one is due this month and the other next month. In one bold stroke, the stork have taken two thirds of my G&G strength away. And of course, expectant ladies do tend to have a bit more days off due to medical reasons than the rest of us. OK, OK, let me rephrase that, a lot more…. More often than not, I’d get a message that one, or even both of them are on MC. Nothing I could do about it. And my reservoir engineer, her son is 8 months old and you know how 8-month old kids are. Fever, tumbled from the bed, rashes etc. etc. etc. Quite a few times I got messages from her that she was going to be late for the day. Que sera sera, what will be, will be and there is nothing I could do about it. More often than not I told her to stay home and be sure the boy is OK. Why? She is no good to me here with her mind on her son. We could have solved the problem had his husband been able to provide milk (as he could work from home) but men are not equipped to do that.

There is also the slight problem of their leave – they have ran out of it!! Or nearly. At the rate they are doing, some might not have any left for Hari Raya. Well, a few times I told them that let’s pretend that they went over to our research facility yonder or to meetings with our partners. Potential problem solved. Everyone gets to spend Hari Raya with their loved ones. What would my boss say? He didn’t want to know about it, heh heh. Good thing they work fast to make up for lost time. They could and they do, heh heh heh….. Otherwise it’s my neck on the chopping block. But then, my neck is cheap.

I should have been a goddamned doctor. Oops, pardon me. Then I'd flirt with that cute "fellow" doctor. Kidding, just just kidding......

.