Friday, September 24, 2004

Hotel From Hell

.

I went out of town two days ago, visiting one of our regional offices. All the hotels there were full and we only managed to get a room in one of the older hotels. It was with a great deal of apprehension that we agreed to stay there after probably calling all the other places. There was a suite available in one of the other hotels but I don’t think I could justify a RM 625 price tag for actually using the place for 8 hours.

The check-in counter was manned by a guy who looked awfully a lot like the winner of a recent reality show, with that dwarfy look, complete with almost no neck and all. The surprise was that only one RM 58 "standard room" was available.

“Corner suite ada…………., RM 88 satu malam”, he said.

Yeah, sure, a “corner suite”, and RM 88 per night at that. Oh boy, visions of “apartments” which were no more than glorified flats filled my head. Ah well, all I need is a clean bed, clean sheets and a good night’s sleep. Then he handed me a towel and the room key. My God, it has been ages since I was handed a towel while checking in. I’m gonna love this place….

We went to my room first and as I opened the door my friend said, “Hey look, a cockroach……” I’m in love with this place already. My wish did not come true, the bedsheet looked like it has not been replaced for a few days and the sofas in the “suite” should have been buried, with full military honours, a long long time ago. I’m head over heels with this place.

By the bedside is a price list, including the room rate that went like this :

Corner Suite – Single Bed RM 200 per night
Corner Suite – Double Bed RM 230 per night
Additional Bed – RM 15

Yeah, right, talk about wishful thinking. PAY ME RM 200 and maybe I’ll think about taking the room again in the future.

The cockroach was still running around like a maniac around the room. I decided to let him live and moved all of my stuff onto the table, used socks and all. I’ll leave my shoes where they are. If he’s silly enough to mess with my shoes, then he probably deserved whatever that will happen to him as a result of that. Ah well, I hope I have immunity against mangy bedsheets. Here goes…..

Woke up next morning without any extraordinary urge to scratch any part of my body. OK, that’s good. Sadly, my six-legged friend lay dead in the bathroom, with all six legs pointing towards the ceiling. I guess it is true that your feet get to heaven first. Ah well, never got to know the little guy well. I gave him a twisting fluid burial in the bathroom. One flush and he’s all gone. I told him not to mess with my shoes.

Went down to have breakfast and the restaurant was not opened yet. I asked my friend that we should get out of the hotel as quick as possible and I’ll buy him breakfast to replace the breakfast that he will miss. Not miss really, one that he will not eat.

So I said goodbye to the dingiest hotel that I have ever been to in my life. That’s not the end of the story. My friend kept scratching his back all through the day, attributing it to the bedsheet in that hotel. He’s still scratching as of today.

.