Thursday, October 07, 2004

Phone Sense

.

I am so so tired today but since I am on a roll, I thought I’d just carry on until I drop. I came back from Marriott Putrajaya this evening, messed around with the PC, downloaded an anti-virus software, tested the PC (stable!) and I am exhausted!!! I was supposed to be in Putrajaya since Tuesday, 5 October for a thingy until today but all I did that day was to register and went home. One hotel room wasted. There was a reason for that. And cockroach free too.

I had to be in the office yesterday morning for a presentation to a review committee on this project that we are doing.

And it was a morning of mistakes and disasters.

Kevin, my staff did the presentation on behalf of the team since it had a lot to do with the work that he had done. It was fine until about seven minutes into his presentation.

His phone rang.

He answered it, “Hi Greg, I’m doing a presentation right now and I can’t talk but I’ll call you later.”

Aiyoyo, this guy, I couldn’t believe it, he actually answered the goddamned phone!!! There he was, doing a presentation up front and he stopped to answer the phone. Today is the day that I will commit murder, I thought.

“Kevin, put the phone down. Kevin, put the phone away…..”, I hissed. Good thing he did. Bad thing number one.

Half an hour or so into the session, I felt something is not right. There were too many questions from the committee. I had this feeling that he did not review his work with whom we call “peers”, our real experienced technical personnel. Sure enough, in between his slides, I managed to ask him, he did not. Bad thing number two.

And bad thing number three is that I assumed that he had ran his work past those folks. It took us two months to book the meeting with the high and mighty committee and we blew it. I blew it. I should have just gone and joined the others at the hotel yesterday morning and it was good company too. Some cute ones too. Ha, I kept saying that about some of the fairer sex who crossed paths with me but at least you know that nothing happened since I bragged about it.

Like my friend said, memuji keindahan ciptaan tuhan. Praising the beauty of god's creations. Yeah, right. Whatever.

I need a new drug.

.