Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Yesterday Once More

.

N, who has just returned from a six-year overseas assignment, called me earlier this week. A long time ago, I used to cover up incessantly for him. His wife, Z, who used to work with me would come over my workstation and say, “Waaah, ke mana you pergi dengan N last night, sampai pukul dua pagi baru balik?”

Ooops, I was at home last night. I was watching TV all night last night. I was with Lina all night last night. There were just the two of us then. Nazzim was just a flicker in his mother’s eyes. Sofia was a much much smaller flicker.

“Oh, oh, oh…., we had dinner and we went to the usual places, you know, the ferry point and oh, the jetty, yes, the jetty.”

“You know, watched the supply boats coming in, the platforms and the flares.”

“The waves.”

“The sounds of the sea.”

I better not get carried away. I’m beginning to sound very romantic. I could be if I want to, you know.

“Oh, OK.” she’d say, and went away.

Aiyaiyaiyaiyaiyai…. I called him.

“Weeeii, N, where did we go last night?”

“Eh, sorry, sorry, I forgot to tell you.”

He once went missing for two days from home, from the office, from the lives of people around him. They asked his wife and when she pleaded not knowing where he was, I was next in line. I didn’t know where he was then too. When he re-appeared, he told me the truth – he was on a caper with someone. OK, fine, they slept in separate tents or trees or boats, it does not matter but for three days his employer, his wife and his friends went looking for him, worrying that he might be hurt in a ravine somewhere and he was actually playing Michael Douglas but only that he was not romancing a stone. If Lina ever finds out that I am part of his extra-curricular activities, though as alibis, I’d still be mincemeat.

Daging cincang.

Spaghetti and meatballs.

Bolognaise.

God, I never could pronounce that. I just point to the item in the menu.

When he asked to meet, I gladly agreed. After terawihlah, I said, nak maintain record respectable sikit for terawih this year. But when it was about time to meet I could not get hold of him, I had this nasty feeling all over again. I have yet to hear from him since. I think I am an alibi once again.

Nasib baik tak burn terawih. I feel like having spaghetti today.

.