Thursday, September 29, 2005

Hot Water Memories

.

I sent this message to a friend last night :

“Something happened to me tonight that reminded me of you.”

Reading it before I sent it off, I realized that the message did sounded a little bit corny, but what the heck. I pressed the “Send” button anyway.

True enough, he called me this morning.

“Hey, did you send me a message that was not meant for me last night? I was thinking, ni dia salah hantar ni……..”

“I did send you a message but it was no mistake. I did think that you’d think that message was meant for someone else, a beau maybe, but it’s been so long since I had a beau and I married my last beau.”

God, never in the history of mankind did the word beau appeared so many times in a paragraph.

“Something did happen to me last night that reminded me of you. You see, I accidentally poured hot water on my hand last night. Memories of you sitting on your bed, applying some cream on your burnt hand while softly whistling a tune came back to me like it was only yesterday.”

God, it hurts. Good thing it happened right in front of the sink and I doused it with water and Lina put some butter on it. The next fifteen minutes was pure torture but it got better and I only woke up once last night because of the pain. No blisters or “gelembung” in sight and a trip to the pharmacy for a soothing cream this morning helped a bit. The wrist is still throbbing. I’ve got an angry red welt all around my left wrist, like an expensive bracelet from Tiffany's or one of those fancy jewelers. So far no “gelembung”, please, please, please, let it stay that way. We were trying out the new thermo-pot that we bought earlier in the day and I was emptying it of the first boiled water (as instructed) and we didn’t realize that there was water, hot boiling water, in the spout. Out it came when I tipped the pot and onto my wrist….

Morale of the story – never never pour boiling water on yourself. I’ll tell you later if butter really works.

.