Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Confession of a Reluctant Father

.

Nazzim will be taking his UPSR this year and I think he has a chance to do well. His schedule is full of additional classes and tuitions and once in a while I do wonder if we are overdoing it. Of course Lina and I pushes him to study hard, very hard since if we don’t do that, he’d just happily watch TV and read comics.

I still remember my Standard 5 Assessment examinations. For some of you young ‘uns, yes, the exam used to be for Standard 5 pupils and it was only recently that it was changed. We had two breaks on the two or three days that it was held but I had no idea that it was a “major” exam. Even when the results came out, I only knew it when my classmate Shamsuddin said that we had to go to school to get the results. Even after getting the results, it never dawned on me what it was for until Mr. Ngoh came looking for me during the third term school holidays after my Standard 6 with an offer to go to a boarding school.

As for Nazzim, we’d let him go to boarding school if the school is good (our criteria), he wants to (his criteria and he said he does), if the school is nearby (Lina’s criteria) but we might (the key word is might….) make an exception to a far away school if that he gets an offer to that school (you know what school I am talking about) in Kuala Kangsar but we are not banking on it. But I think that will not happen since I think in this particular instance, Lina would have 51% voting rights. She does not even need to use her veto power.

My former school fits the bill perfectly – it’s a good school, nearby and as an alumni he’d have a better chance than others but frankly, I’d like him to go to a day school nearby. I’d prefer to send him to boarding school when he is in Form Four. Lina doesn’t know about this, she thinks that I’d be the first to want to ship him off to a hostel. I think for his secondary education as long as he has a conducive atmosphere at home, his own room, his own space and a lot of supervision from us, he’d do as well. Lina’s brother-in-law left for UK when he was thirteen or fourteen and he did mentioned once that he’d probably opt for the same for his son, their only child.

“Along, I don’t think Suri (Lina’s sister) would let you do that. Tell you what, if you managed to convince Suri to even ship him off to that school in Mantin, I’d buy you lots and lots of lunch, dinner and everything in between…”

Ah well, let’s see then. Yes, a confession, I don’t want my son to leave for boarding school so soon.

.