Friday, May 27, 2005

Happy Birthday, Princess

.

Sofia turns nine today. She wants a new bicycle for her birthday present. Tell me if there is a way that I could refuse her. No, right?

She still insists on kissing me at every opportunity, before I leave for work, when I come home, when she leaves for school or tuition or when it's time for her to go to bed. I'll take all that I can get now while I'm still "laku". She still thinks I'm the greatest and I'll let that notion linger as long as she wants. When it's her bedtime, nothing can make her happier than if I were to tuck her in. After making sure she brushes her teeth and does her isyak prayers of course. She has started singing along with the song that is playing on the radio and I wonder when did she memorised all of them. When will she start to make me wonder whether I have been a good father or otherwise?

The bicycle will burn a hole in my pocket but as long as I am able to and can make her happy, I guess I will. She gets on Lina's nerves more often than not daily. But she is still her mother's best friend. Lina does say that she wants Sofia to be able to talk to her, to be her daughter, and to be her friend, her bestest friend, if there is ever such a word. She still gets on her brother's nerves all the time. And him, on her nerves all the time. They try to deny everything and anything from each other and I told them that a hand that holds something can never latch on to something better. It usually doesn't work. Sometimes only my sternest instructions could keep them tormenting from each other but sometimes the softest words would yield the same results, at times maybe even better.

To a father, a daughter personifies an extension of all the prettiest, softest, happiest and sweetest things in life. And then some. She wants to be a doctor, a teacher and an ustazah, all three and I said that I'll be the luckiest human being ever in that aspect.

Happy Birthday, Princess.

.