Friday, May 20, 2005

Mobile Madness

.

I think the mobile phone operators in Malaysia are making money out of nothing at all. I was at our supply base, out drinking on Wednesday night and this girl next to me was busy messaging on her handphone, non-stop, like a dervish. Putting on my “muka tak malu” and “come what may” mode, I commented :

“Busy messaging nampak?”

Came the reply, “Ya, I topped up a hundred Ringgits at 5.00 p.m. just now and now the balance is only fifteen Ringgits”. She then showed me the balance. Proudly, like a badge of honour.

Eighty-five Ringgits in four hours. Ananda Krishnan would have loved her. People like her make him get richer and richer. He would have hated Lina. She finds it difficult to finish the thirty-Ringgit top-up that we have to spend monthly on her phone. So I make it a personal crusade to use her phone while I wait for Nazzim and Sofia during their music and taekwondo lessons. And still I only managed to make a small dent only in her balance.

My usage of the mobile phone is guided by one principle – as long as my boss don’t blow his top, I’m OK. So far he hasn’t. But when we have work offshore, then that principle goes down the drain as my usage would increase ten-fold. Etiquette is required too. Just this morning, while having a cup of tea in the pantry, a mousy-looking guy, whom I have never seen before, spoke on his handphone, speaker-mode, for all to hear. I have no interest in listening to a mousy-looking guy talking to a shrilly-sounding lady about their sorry lives.

Ah well, lucky Ananda.

.