Monday, April 11, 2005

Speak Softly Love.....

.

At the end of last week I was outstation, to one of our regional offices to gather some data. One of those fly in and next day fly out affairs. I hate those, you don’t even have enough time to be tired, you just move straight to being exhausted. But the flight was OK, the hotel was fine, not one of those cockroachy hotels that I wrote about a while back and I managed to get a flight back to be home by dusk, Friday.

Nothing out of the ordinary but I must tell about this episode during breakfast on Friday. There I was, at the hotel’s restaurant and I noticed, more like heard, that one of the guests having breakfast there is rather loud. There were three of them but this one guy was really yakking away like he’s gonna lose his voice by noon. I was about three tables away, with my back to him and I must say that I heard every single word he was saying. That was not the worse thing but you should hear the tales that he spun.

One had something to do with how a friend of his and being transferred somewhere and they did not touch his salary but just lived on his allowances etc. etc. etc. (hey, I sound like Yul Bryner in The King and I) and after a while, when he checked his account, there was RM 80,000 in it. Well, I’m not too sure about it but I think the point in his story was that he’s got a friend who goes around telling how much money he has stashed in his bank account. How come none of my friends, such as Wak, Red or ex-Joe Sewel never tell me how much money they have? I’m not choosy, whether it’s your allowance or your salary, as long as you tell me how much money you have. Well, this guy’s friend does……

Then he moved on by telling how his boss would not sign anything unless he brings it. Even the prettiest ladies in the office were powerless, they could not make the old man sign the anything at all.

“Si Peah yang lawa tu bawa masuk, suruh sain pun, dia tak layan!!! Aku bawak masuk baru jalan…!!”

Wow, some boss. Some guy. But when I went for the fruit platter, he was no where close to being a hunky corporate mover, you know, like the ones we see in the commercials. Young, tousled-haired, always celebrating something. What are they so happy about, jumping around for, my mother would usually ask.

“Hentahlah Mak, happy sebab air Harimau Bawah Pokok Kelapa tu agaknya…..”

Then came my favourite tale of the day, about an architect who went blind because the bridge that they were building nearby was so complicated. So so complicated, real tiny tiny small detailed drawings. Don’t know why la, but that was what he said. I say man, blow up the drawings, make it bigger, get a smaller guy so that the drawings will be bigger relatively, suck on it but don’t go blind, it’s not worth it!!!! Aiyo, the poor architect….

God, that was it, I can’t take any more Ripleysque stories. I went back to my room to pack and thanking the stars that my boss is very uncomplicated and be grateful that I am not an architect or otherwise I’d be blind by now.

.