Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Of Kancils and Other Issues

.

It is with great relief that I read that the government will pass laws to limit the number of passengers in small cars. They should also do it for motorbikes, har har har har. That’s a good one. I crack myself up sometimes. They should also pass laws requiring children on motorbikes to use helmets. I am sure there are no such laws as everyday thousands upon thousands of children travel on bikes without the benefit of helmets. I have written before on this but an interesting topic is fun to chew upon.

As with many Malaysian laws, folklores and tales, the law will be passed with much fanfare, the authorities make a big case out of implementing it for the first few days and then we are back to whatever we were doing before that. Why? Enforcement. The E word. Plus why should anyone be scared? In the upcoming small passenger car comedy (to be played soon) we can always hide three kids on the floor at the back of a Kancil. Many people don’t use seat-belts. There are thousands of kids not wearing helmets and many drivers use the phone while driving. In Singapore, talking on the phone while driving is a jailable offence. And they enforce it. You get caught, you go to jail. Period. Don’t mess with the Sing police….. Back home, we see people driving and talking on the phone everyday. If they get caught, it is only RM 300, I think, or maybe less as there are other ways out. Well, I don’t know about the rest of you usually I try to reason things out when I get stopped for any offence. More often than not I fail but then I just pay the compound and move on. But never for using a handphone. Got my handsfree kit lah.

The daily papers are full of comedy. The Bukit Cherakah debacle. Subang or Sepang. It makes life a lot more fun I guess. We Malaysians are what people call fire fighters. When it’s too late. When it is after the fact. After s_it happens. We try and find out if the engineer is qualified or otherwise after the building has toppled. After the bridge has fallen down. We place the close-circuit cameras after the murder has been committed. We are satisfied our football team came in fifth out of six teams. But then, this is our country. Love it or leave it. No prizes for guessing under which category most of us falls into.

.