Thursday, January 13, 2005

Friends Like I Do

.

Nazzim is in Year 6 this year and he will be taking his UPSR at the end of the year. We hope he will do well and maybe if he wants to, we could try getting him into a boarding school. The alumni is always ready to help fellow alumni whose children are qualified. But Lina insists that it has to be nearby. Not one that is a few hundred kilometers away. I did want to say what’s the point if it is nearby but then I better not. She does have that majority voting right in some instances (51% versus my 49%) and this is one of them.

Lina surprised me a few days ago when she said that she wanted him to get into a boarding school and have the kind of friends that I do. Not that you can’t get good friends in the normal school but you know what I mean.

“Mama nak Abang Long ada kawan macam Papa”

That was what she said. I was a bit surprised. I know that she knows all of my close friends and though from the beginning of our marriage, she’d make faces when I say that I am going out to meet with W or J or H or R, to name a few but she never made a big case out of it, mainly because they are harmless as friends. I think the worst thing we ever did was stay out till five in the morning. But I think she’d want to say a word or two if any one of them asked me out regularly to trawl for girls or booze but so far that was not the case.

I guess I am blessed with some good friends from school. W would call me twice or three times a month for teh tarik. We’d try to rope in others if possible, otherwise it’s just the two of us. They have never really asked me for any sort of help but I know that they are always there to help any one of us. Especially that one called J. J is still as patronizing as ever and I have given up trying to tell him to quit doing that. R is still the same as he was in school, only better. As for H, he could talk and talk about most anything but one thing about whatever that comes out of his mouth, it makes sense. Not rubbish.

There are a few others and I do hope that Nazzim will ada kawan macam Papa.

.