Tuesday, January 11, 2005

My Friend The Corporate Hotshot

.

Last Friday evening after work, I sat down at Dome KLCC again with my friend K, watch the world go round and watch him get naughty with Yasmin. Heh heh, K sounds a lot worse than he really is. Yes, he enjoys seeing her once or so a week but that’s it. He’s a nice guy actually. Unless, of course there’s a dark side of him that I am not aware of. Slap me silly and call me Luke.

K got a huge promotion a few weeks ago. Huge as in real big. Let’s put it this way – he became his boss’ boss.

Get out of here!! He nodded his head.

Get out of here!! He nodded his head again.

This is huge. Nothing like this since the son-in-law thing. You know, the son-in-law thing. But K is no one’s son-in-law, you know what I mean K.

Now, I told him, you ought to be playing golf like a dervish. He’s not a golfer yet. I sense a challenge but he has agreed to start so that’s a bummer, no challenge there for me. RM 3,500 for a desirable set of irons (which I could not afford), another RM 2,900 for some woods (which I could not afford too), and another RM 500 for a good putter (this, I could afford),. Add a golf bag, shoes, glove, this and that, let’s say a total of RM 8,000. Plus lessons at RM 200 an hour, with me. The lessons actually cost about RM 50 an hour but what are friends for.

“Look, you got to start playing because the people you do business with play golf, it’s as simple as that!!”

"Imagine the chairman asking you if you know all those people and you said no. He's not going to be very impressed."

“Hobnob!!!”, I said

He nodded again.

Get the BMW AND the Merc. You deserve it. I deserve it.

Let’s put it this way, the only Malaysian higher than him in the hierarchy is the chairman. The MD is an expat and that is the next step for him. I could ride on his coat-tails but he thinks I am too funny to be of any use to him.

“You should be going around to your clients' offices and introduce yourself to GM’s, MD’s, Chairmen and all those high and mighty”, I said.

“Helloooo, I am K, the Senior General Manager of Tarakucakuca, nice meeting you."

"Nice meeting you. Nice meeting you. Nice meeting you. You too ma’am. Lovely fingers you have there ma'am.”

Do they have any sort of beginner’s courses for the up and coming folks? Like the finishing school for the ladies? Finishing school for the ladies, what a riot.

Start finishing your sentences with “what”, “eh”, slot in “old boy” and “by jove” and the odd “oi’s” whenever possible and start staining those fingers with those Havanas. And importantly, stop dressing like me!!!

I wonder when is our next session to celebrate his promotion….

.