Sunday, January 30, 2005

What Could Have Been

.

How do you comfort someone who lost a gonna be loved one?

A friend at work lost what was then a close friend. But their relationship was heading towards both of them being an item.

It happened exactly a week ago and this night last week, they were together enjoying what was left of the weekend and dreading the Monday, I guess, and come Monday morning, less than eight hours after they last met, one of them was gone. He was only twenty-four.

It was still a gonna be loved one because he was still in the process of wooing her. He was fussing over her, not letting her traveling alone, not letting her eat alone, not letting her do anything alone. He would wait for her in front of the whole world.

And now he’s gone. Now the chair that is always next to her will be perpetually empty. The one meant for it is no longer around. She was crying when she finally pushed the chair away.

The only thing I could say to her was to cry her heart out and when she is done doing that, come and rejoin us, the living. I didn’t know if I did the right thing or otherwise, I still don’t, but I am lousy at dealing with such tragedies. Very few of us are good at it. About the only thing I could offer was a sympathetic ear and a promise to help in whatever way I could. I meant those though.

What could have been was never meant to be.

.