Wednesday, May 25, 2005

A Year's Worth or Worthless....

.

It has been a year yesterday since I started this blog. It was supposed to be me and my buddy Red - he was supposed to provide the pictures and me the words since I thought it might be easier to write with some visual prodding but I think he tricked me.

It was suposed to be a once a week thing but I think I must have posted 80 articles or so these last 52 weeks. I noticed that the best times to harvest ideas for the site has been during meetings. Long, boring, droning meetings. I used to be very prolific at writing letters. In the late eighties, I was writing to Liz, Mr. B, Anton, Eyes and Red and they, five people, could not keep up with me. I was writing each of them a letter a week. Yup, twenty or so letters a month. The secret was simple, the people to whom I am writing to are already my friends and I do not need to impress them with world saving superheroic notions, mundane day to day happenings in my life are interesting enough for them. At least I used to think so. I'll get Red's confirmation or denial on this. His survival depends entirely on his answer.

My posts are of not much literary value but they might represent what was going through my mind at that time. Few were easy to write while for most, I had to rack my brains to coax the words out.

The last week has been a, well, a typical week. Played golf twice, badly. Went to see a movie, Start Wars - Revenge of the Sith and that brought back memories to more than a quarter of a century ago when I asked for money from my late father to see the first one, Star Wars. He came to pick me up from the hostel but I just put my stuff into the old Fiat and asked for a few bucks to see the movie and to find my own may home the next day. I think I saw it with Bonch.

Went to a wedding, Lina's niece (her second cousin's daughter). One of those We-have-a-wedding-to-go-to-tonight, Why-didn't-you-tell-me-earlier and I-just-got-to-know-from-Mama-this-morning-and-please-could-we-go-for-we-must-go and OK-I-guess kind of thing. It was alright, many of Lina's relatives are much more prominent and well to do than mine. We have another one to go on the 11th of June and I must get myself a songkok for that one for Nazzim's songkok is too tight for me. My hair sticks out like lightning bolts from under his songkok.

Today, I had a very interesting conversation with someone whom I have known for more than two decades but until today, I don't think we could call each other a friend. After the hour plus long phone conversation, I think I can call her a friend. I could use one more friend.

.