Sunday, June 12, 2005

Another Wedding Tale

.

I just came back from a wedding, one of those posh affairs at a hotel in KL. Courtesy of Lina’s side of the family. Most fancy weddings at hotels that I attend are mainly from her side of the family. From my side of the family, it’s always at home or at some hall somewhere. Reminds me of the story about the twenty dollar and the one dollar bills. The twenty dollar bill gets to go to nice clubs, fancy hotels and other posh places but the all the one dollar bill did was to go to church, go to church and go to church. I’m like that one dollar bill.

Good thing people recognizes her.

“Oh anak Kak Long…..”, most of them would say. When I say them, I mean my mother-in-law’s cousins, second cousins, cousins once up to four times removed or whatever other terms that we might have for relatives. That is really a relief for me since I do not cherish running a gauntlet of maroon coloured ushers/relatives on my way to our table and them wondering who we are. And of course upon seeing Nazzim and Sofia they’d go “Oh, ini anak you ke…?” to her. That helped.

“Alright, come along”, I’d say, “these nice people have other folks to help find their tables….”

And among her relatives, she’s Gina….. Yup, she’s got another name. Nama glamour you….. Nazzim and Sofia were tickled pink when they heard that their mother has another name, a nama glamour.

“It’s one of those things when I was young”, she said when we first got married.

My, one thing I can tell you is that Lina has got some good looking relatives. A look from the corner of her eye put me back on track, heh heh…. If that does not work, a pinch would always certainly right any wayward man. Heh heh, just kidding, people look a lot nicer at weddings, yours truly included too lah.

As usual I was going “Who was that?”, “Now who’s that?” all night long as a retinue of people would pass by our table to greet her parents and her. The children fared a lot better than me because all they had to do was shake and kiss the hands of most everyone who came by whereas I had to pretend some sort of recognition with every handshake.

“That was Wan Alang? I thought that was Wan Asu and Wana Alang was that lady with the black tudung?”

She’d patiently explain who’s who again but by the end of the night, one Wan looks like another just as another Tok looks like the rest too and take into account the Mak Ngahs and Pak Andeks, things looked much more difficult than Einstein’s Theory of Relativity.

All in all, it was an agreeable night. The bride’s father, who is filthy rich, to be able to afford such a night, gave a very good, funny and not too long a speech. The food was good, the company excellent and no man could ask for more.

.