Thursday, October 06, 2005

Down Under

.

Perth is a strange city. It's nice and clean and the people are polite but the city is so quiet. On the way from the airport on Sunday we probably saw nine cars on the road. No jams, none at all and no one is in a rush, unlike at home. The weather's cool, a denim jacket is more than enough.

The only thing left for me to do is to shop for Lina and the children, all other things are secondary but it is easier said than done. Most of the shops are closed by 5.30 pm and I don't get off till about 5 pm so there has been little chance of shopping these last four days. We'll go to Fremantle tomorrow as the Fremantle Markets is open till 9 pm. If it is anything like Victoria Market in Melbourne, then I'm home free.

Met a friend last night, she's doing her PhD here. She's having a ball of a time here and is thinking about staying on. Go for it, I said, I'd do it if I were you. The place is so nice, clean, safe and jam free. But just before we parted, she's having second thoughts about it. OK, come home then, there's no place like home.

As for the fasting month, there's a Malaysian restaurant about five minutes' walk from the hotel and that's all that's needed. The Aussies are wonderful people and the first asshole I have to meet here in Perth had to be a Malaysian. Aiyooo..... First day of puasa and we entered the restaurant about ten minutes before buka puasa time and my buddy Abdullah said to the waiter, "Apa ada yang cepat, dik?"

"You have to wait"

Well, he was only jesting and the asshole had to take in hook, sinker and line. Aiyoo.... Speaking lagi tu. Maybe he's got a wombat up his behind. That happens, you know.....So to turn the screws, both Abdullah and me spoke Malay and Mr. A always replied in English. Well, maybe he's been here six months and he has forgotten his Bahasa Malaysia. But do not despair, for I have found a buddy for Mr. A in the proprietor of this store where I am writing this entry. He's Turkish or Kurdish or whatever but an asshole too. Thank goodness, for it would have been embarassing should it be that the only asshole I meet during my journey is a countryman.

I need a new drug.

.