Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Seven Ringgits

.

Try walking with no money in your pockets. Well, in my case it was nowhere near that but recently I only had 7 Ringgits in my pockets. Not realising that, I stopped at the KFC outlet in KLCC and joined the queue to get some lunch. Good thing I went through my wallet, since all I had was, 7 Ringgits. Plus some change. Simply, I do not have enough money for the meal I had in mind and the cigarettes that I wanted to buy too. Ah well, I told myself. As I left the outlet, I thought that I'd better do something so that I won't be "kempunan", so I touched my finger on my tongue and then I dabbed it ever so lightly on my adam's apple. I think it worked, don't have to tell you why. But the thought of not having money played in my mind for a while. What if...... No, better not. But then, what if, really now......... better not dwell on that.

OK, I said to myself, why don't I get that small packet of Marlboro Lights and then figure out what to do. And trust me to notice Burger King, Nando's, Delifrance, Hoca and a host of other seemingly divine food outlets on the way to buy the cigarettes. And I smiled at the whole situation. Here I am, not much money on me and everything looked so good. But it was not the same. I feel like those people who "roughed" it out in some jungle resort, or played war games when we don't have to really really fight in a real war. It was not the same. The closest was once a long time ago, I had just enough money for a roti canai and I drank lots and lots of water with it, just plain water so that the roti canai would expand and I'd feel full. Or in school, when we survived on "roti bawang" for 2 days before the money was credited into our accounts.

Oh, then it was obvious. After a smoke and watching the world have lunch, I went to the automatic teller machine and withdrew some money. Not much, just enough to buy me a meal at KFC and to get by the next few days. But try it, go around with just 7 Ringgits in your pockets. You'll see what I mean.

.