Tuesday, October 26, 2004

No Help Rendered

.

I helped a cousin get some practical training at my workplace a while back and it was good for her. She had things to do during her holidays and she got a small allowance for her effort. The trouble started when she graduated recently and her mother keeps pressing me to get her a job next. The only thing I could tell her to do is to keep an eye in the papers and/or write in. That’s all. That’s all I could offer. Aiyoyo, the practical training part was easy, the company only had to deal with them trainees, good or bad, for a few months and not till you are 55. And we are not talking about the speed limit here. Now I am being labelled as "tak mau tolong". Aduhhhh.... Actually ha, "tak dapek tolong".

I don’t have the heart to tell them that her daughter’s CGPA of 2.7 would guarantee her application to be chucked out at the first hurdle. Whoops, a 2.7, out you go into the circular file. I’ll tell you why – because there are stacks and stacks of 3.0 pointers and above that apply for the jobs that we offer.

I was part of the process a few times. It was to fill in a few posts that we identified and after telling them folks at HR what sort graduates in what discipline do we need, we were handed a stack of CV’s. First thing we did whenever we wanted to shortlist the applicants, was to throw out the CV’s with a CGPA of less than 3.0. From a twelve inch stack of CV’s, we whittled it down to six inches in about fifteen minutes. All without looking at a single talent or asking a single question. Then they asked the remainder to come for their first of two interviews and tests.

I had a feeling that something like this would happen when I first helped her. But I never gave the impression that I could pull strings and get anyone a job at my outfit. The place where I work, like many other places, has a central recruiting department. I am just a small clog in the machinery and it would be very difficult for me to pull strings for mostly anyone. Oh, I am a GM alright, a Gurkha Malang. That means the “Unfortunate Gurkha” for those who do not speak Malay.

So if any of you reading this happens to be kids in college, high school or heck, elementary school for that matter, make sure you get a CGPA of 3.5 at least OK? It will save your moms, dads, uncles and cousins a lot of trouble. It would save YOU the most trouble, trust me. It could have saved me the trouble.

I need that new drug.


Note : For you non-Malay speakers :

tak mau tolong - don't want to help
tak dapek tolong - could not help / powerless to help
Aduhhhh.... - Ouchhhh....

.