Monday, November 28, 2005

Weekend Wiggles

.

Friday night started with a blast, with a Hari Raya open house reception. But the main room was so full of people that the cigarette smoke made the place unbearable. Plus as time goes by, many rather tipsy people were asking me if I was having a good time (I was, kinda) that I had to move to the smaller room and later even that room was as bad as the main room, I had to call it a night and left early, like at 10 p.m. Plus the fact that I had golf Saturday morning. But the food was good, the company was rather good too, even though most of them were loud and terhuyung-hayang.

What can I say about golf the next day? The usual lousy game, but that was good enough for a RM 200 Isetan voucher prize (“This time the vouchers are mine”, Lina said) and get this, a pair of Business Class return tickets to Langkawi. Heh heh……. Nazzim was upset as there were only two tickets and lamented on the possibility that someone would be left behind. Lina and me played along for a second after which she said,

“Takkanlah Mama tergamak nak tinggalkan anak Mama…..”

You should see how both Nazzim and Sofia light up like the sun. Lina’s sister and her husband dropped by that night. I have always enjoyed my biras’ company. There was a very good reason for them to be there that night, their only child, a son Nazzim’s age, is away camping at a location near our house.

“So, Zul, you want to go peek at Naim?”, we’d ask.

“Oh no, it’s his mother who wants to come here….”

“No, it’s not, it’s you……”

“No, it’s you….”

No, it wasn’t me, you were the one….”

“Wei, wei, it’s only for two nights, you’ll get him back on Monday……”

On Sunday we went to Malacca to visit Lina’s friend who is going to Mecca next month. Lina used to sleep over at her place when she was in high school and yesterday we were told that her friend's mother had a name for Lina. I'm not telling. Got something to do with how she does her hair. In a ponytail or something like that. Anyway, I'm not telling.

Anyway, after that we dropped by to see our good friends, Zali and and his wife Tim. Zali is the most laid back and honest (the Malay word is lurus) man on the face of the earth. When we first met them, he was in the final throes of becoming Tarzan – there were goats, rabbits, Egyptian pigeons, your usual pigeons, geese, chickens, ducks, cats, fish, hamsters, turkeys around the house and a cobra in a den by the side of the house. I finally persuaded him that the snake might not be good for their health as they are dangerous. He ruled out the standard boiling water down the den, as it might hurt the critter but when we visited him the following week, the cobra was gone. Later he told us that he used the usual rat trap cage, a piece of chicken as lure and called the cobra out and set it free again go a few miles away.

“Macam kita panggil ayam lah, kurrrrr…..kurrrrr.”

“Wei, mana sama panggil ayam dengan ular weiiii…”

“Boleh, boleh, aku buat macam tulah, hang tanya Tim….”

Oh God, people like this also got aaa? Knowing him, he probably had a pep talk with the cobra and reasoned with it.

“If you don’t come out and let me move you, no one would come to my house and I would die of loneliness and you’d get new people living here and those people would just pour hot water on you. Now, tell me, which one would you rather choose, a new place or me dead and a new mean human living next to you?”

I am sure that was precisely what he did…. You try and coax a cobra into one of those rat traps....

.