Monday, December 31, 2007

One Night in Bangkok

.

Four nights actually.

Happiness was waiting to board the plane to meet my loved ones. Even though the flight was a seven hour flight on a plane that has no onboard entertainment whatsoever, I didn't mind. After all, I am going to meet Lina, Nazzim and Sofia. I spent the flight sleeping and later chatting with the German guy next to me - he's on his fourteenh trip to Bangkok, read my lips, empat belas..... he must surely like Thailand. Each trip he'd stay for 2 or three weeks in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiengmai. I think I know why he loves going there. But can't tell here..... Oh, did I mention that the food onboard is is is........ let's put it this way, my sardine sandwiches would be gourmet compared to that.

Our lives have been topsy turvy since I was transferred and this trip was to make up for me being away. This trip has been my way to make up to them. Sofia will be sitting for her UPSR and Nazzim for his PMR and they will need all the time to prepare. After those exams are over with, it's time for another trip I suppose. I wonder where should we go next....

I was like Santa Claus those five days. They pretty much got everything that they wanted. Thank God most of the things they wanted were trinkets. Most..... One omnipotent characteristic of our trips anywhere was getting things for folks back home. Years ago, we always thought that each trip would be the last time that we'd be getting things for people back home. We say it each and every time we were away. Then we found out that we simply could not come home empty handed, we simply don't have the stomach to do that. Tak sampai hati. So here we are a decade later, still doing it. But we are happy remembering the people whom we should and care and what goes around does comes around for we have had our share of souvenirs when other people goes atravelling.

And of course, all good things must come to an end. My journey back here was a lonely sombre one. They left Bangkok about an hour before I did. The lousy food aboard didn't help. About the only solace was that the flight was not full, like at some other times when it was full of people returning to Moscow, transitting at where I'd get off. And so I slept and slept and slept and slept..... On the other hand, I had a bag full of goodies, Maggi mee, Berahim ready to eat and lots and lots of Granola bars that should keep me happy for the next few weeks.

Well, another three weeks before I have (key word - have) to attend a forum back home. If K. C. Kasem taught Americans how to count backwards from forty, I can surely count backwards from twenty-one. Life could be good at times.

.