Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dinner and Pieces

Ye Caspian Sea


Yes, we still play football even though it is 8 deg C...


Iran is just on the other side of the mountains...

.

I'm very upset that I will miss the alumni dinner this year. It will be on 1st December and since I will be leaving on 25th November to go back to work, there is no possibility that I will be in town then.

What I wish for is a photo. You know who you are - I want a photo of the two of you. Or the three of you. The four of you, I'm not choosy. How I wish I could be there. OK, the photo, please.....

I have a few more days before I go back. My next trip home which is already in the bag is in January. Somehow, I kinda cherish the chance to sit down longer and do more work. I have not been there long enough. But at the same time, thinking about going back makes me miss Lina, Nazzim and Sofia. About the best solace that I could get while I am over there, missing my family, is that there are a few others like me. Shahimi, Mior, Captain Ahmad, to name a few. Thinking that they must miss their family as much as I miss mine do help. If they can rough it out, so can I. But boy, they sure do cover their feelings well.
Aina, a niece of mine, is getting married on 15th December but I could not make it back home because of work. Nazzim and Sofia will be taking the PMR and UPSR respectively next year and about the only time we have before they start school is around the last week of December. Lina will have to do everything herself. I'm not there to take half of the tasks on the first day of school like we have been doing these last seven years. Life is cruel sometimes.

The best thing about going away is that we get come back. Happiness is when you board a plane on the way home, even though it will be 19, 24 or 32 hours with stops at God knows where before you see your loved ones. It would be wonderful if I am packed with goodies but at times I am not. Read Nazzim, "Papa, bring us something other than chocolates only tau?" That one time I came back laden with gifts for everyone, my luggage had to go walkabout for four days. That luggage was laden with two handbags, three Clark shoes, a Clark pouch and a host of other goodies. I knew I was a winner when Lina liked the handbags and she actually is using one now. About the only thing was "Uh, you bought both in black?" Silly me..... Ah well, you lose some, you win some.

I need to get some sleep for this whatever seminar or conference tomorrow. The family is here with me, for this somewhat impromptu unplanned but we'll take whatever we can under the current circumstances holiday.
.