Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Here and There

.

No one has ever told me that I should not use fish curry for beef, especially not Lina, she’d probably just say “Papa ni…..” and just shake her head. Beef in fish curry tastes nice too. I just don’t feel like working through the cuttlefish or the prawns that I got a few weeks ago.

It snowed for the first time last Thursday. I woke up, got ready for work, went downstairs to catch the transport and the apartment security guard, Kakajan, pointed excitedly outside while saying “sniek”, “snack” or whatever is the local word for snow. True enough, it was snowing. It wasn’t much, maybe 2 inches but it was enough to cover everything in a white sheet. The mountain south of the city was almost totally covered by snow, last week only the peaks were white. But then, later in the day, the sun came out and al the glorious snow was reduced to mucky mud. No clean cars that day sir. It was just enough snow to later melt and form the perfect concoction to cake all cars with a grayish beige muck. Hooray….. Surprisingly, there were still clumps of snow when we played football on Saturday, right in the middle of the pitch. Well, imagine playing soccer with a few clumps of snow the size of washing machines around.

Oh, I’ll be coming home for a meeting on Friday. This time I’ll just be home for a few days and I’m not taking any chances by being too long from work. The last thing I need is someone to say that there is no one available in town from the department. They have had their fun and I’m going to make sure that I’ll be able to deny them that pleasure in the future, forever.

On a more pathetic note, my luggage from my last trip home is still lost. And not lost in France, as the song goes. The last they traced it was it was in Cairo, routed from Bangkok and on its way to Dubai. That was 5 days ago. Why and how it got to Cairo, only God knows. Now, if anyone has seen a large Polo hard-shell luggage (designated Type 02 by the IATA baggage classification chart), dark blue in colour, with two pink straps around it, please detour it my way. The contents are mostly food, lots of Maggi noodles, Berahim ready to eat stuff, cornflakes, granola bars, instant roti canai and my toiletries. The instant roti canai are gone I presume, I don’t care about the food but my 501’s, 2 light jackets, my ice hockey jersey, my Liverpool jersey, my football socks and other shirts and pants that I like were in that bag………….. Great, that’s the third time I’ve lost my luggage in 5 months. The next time I check in a luggage, I’ll put a so many tags complete with the travel itinerary all over the bag so that if it ever strays, they will only have to read one of the probably twenty-five tags on the bag.

I’m looking forward to seeing Lina and the children later this week and later this month too when all of us take a jaunt in Bangkok. I’ll fly there from where I am and they’ll do likewise from home. This is the only time that I have away from work during this school holidays. And next year will be exam year for both Nazzim and Sofia. I’ll miss celebrating Aidil Adha at home and I’ll miss Aina’s wedding. I’m going to miss a lot of things over the next few years……..

It’s getting colder and colder and colder as the days go by. The mornings are usually foggy. The weeks are seemingly shorter – I don’t know when I could go to the supply base, the training centre and the terminal. I wonder if we could go by road…… it’s a 500 km trip but I’m never one who shy away from such an adventure. I wonder if I could get away with it……

P.S. I’m no Liverpool fan but the jersey was really comfortable.

.