Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Anniversary

.

Today is our 19th wedding anniversary. Nineteen years of marriage. Nineteen years of being together and apart. Nineteen years of ups and downs and everything in between. Nineteen years of agreements, disagreements, passionate conversations, silence and everything in between.

Last night I messaged Lina, thanking her for the love and the life that she has given me. Just her luck, I’m away during our anniversary, but she has grown used to it. We moved so much and I was away so often that she said marrying me was worse than marrying a soldier. Her father being an officer in the army, she was adamant that she’d never marry one for that particular reason, only to marry me and suffer a similar if not worse fate.

You’re stuck with me, dear. I’m here, you are there.

Nineteen years but it felt like only nine or ten. And there is Nazzim and Sofia to make out lives noisier, costlier, happier, merrier, exhausting, more heartaches but fuller. Can a man ask for more? Maybe another forty years so that we’d get to see all our grandchildren and great-grandchildren huh?

Happy Anniversary to us.

.