Friday, March 10, 2006

A Brief Spell In A Northern Town

.

Stavanger is cold!!! Cold. Cold. Cold. Cold. Cold. The gloves and cap sure came in handy. And the scarf too. No Melayu kebal stuff here, I just opt for the cowardly way out - bundle myself in anything and everything that I have. With every outing, slowly the gloves, cap and scarf would appear. Without them, the ears and fingers would go in a matter of minutes.

And expensive. I messaged Lina telling her that I bought what must be the most expensive T-shirts and key-chains ever for Nazzim and Sofia. She told me not to. But of course I had to get something for them. Lunch at a Chinese restaurant for three costs RM 520, ha ha ha!!! We could only speculate how much the dinner, hosted by our hosts Rag and Rune, costs tonight. Rag reminds me a lot of Mick Jagger. And he got the "budak nakal" disposition to go along with it. He does have that mischievous disposition. Forget about going to work with taxis guys, the twenty minute ride this morning costs us RM 120. You don't need a watch in the taxis here, the meter is just like a watch, it simply tallies up the fare that fast!!! You simply can't help but break the first cardinal rule about travelling overseas - do not convert anything to our local currency. You simply had to do that here. McDonald's meals cost about five times more expensive. A packet of cigarettes costs RM 40.

The town is lovely, with fishing vessels, huge supply boats and cruise ships passing by in the fjord that runs along the town. Norway is lucky, for a country of less than 5 million, people, thay are producing more than 3 million barrels of oil. Plus the gas. It's like Malaysia producing 15 million barrels of oil, more than twenty times what we are producing now. Ah well...... Look at what we have and not what we do not have.

I was supposed to be in Amsterdam for another week, next week, but I just had to opt out. The clogs, the cheese and the tulips will just have to wait for some other time. Two weeks away is long enough for me. Can't wait till we go back this Saturday. I know what will be waiting for me back home - the best food and my favourite people in the whole wide world!!!

.