Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Our Lovely Two Quarters

.

A while back, my friend K, the same K with the problem of buying which car fame, told me that his wife told him that she will be going to Kampuchea with a few of her friends.

“Then it dawned on me that I’ll be paying for her trip and I laughed, there’s nothing else that I could do except laugh. Of course I’ll pay for it, that goes without saying.”

“Same with this here Tag Heuer watch I’m wearing”, he said while wriggling his left hand at the same time.

“She bought it for my birthday. With her credit card. Which is a supplementary card. Supplementary to mine.”

We both broke out laughing.

”Thank the stars it’s only RM 1,200….”

And we laughed again. At least I think it was RM 1,200. That reminds me of Lina and my diamond ring. Ah well…………….

I am sure that many husbands think so too, our relationships with our better halves could be funny at times. I am one of those husbands who do not agree in belittling our better halves. It would be too disrespectful.

We’d go “Alamak, wife aku tak kasi…….”, at times or “Tak dapat, wife aku dah arrange something……”, at other times but never any more than that.

Every couple have their own problems in dealing with each other. Some problems are none problems, while some are, oh boy…… When we first got married, I made her cry quite a few times the first few months. Not easy living with this fellow lah…. But no sepak-sepak, tinju-tinju or tendang-tendang stuff, OK? Never, not now and never will. As time goes by, we learned how to handle each other.

A colleague proudly told me recently that he tells his wife everything. Everything. OK, if you are such a saint that you pijak semut pun tak mati, then by all means, do that. Me, I think like many other husbands, am not and I think it is not too clever to volunteer unnecessary information.

Hang on, hang on, that does not sound right. Many of us are not saints but but but but………., you know what I mean. Well, go ahead……, let your imagination run wild and just try to postulate what sort of a maniac we non-saints are. Heh, heh, you have no idea….

Anyway, Betty Ford, at least I think it was Betty Ford, said that marriage is never a 50-50 affair. It’s a 70-30, 80-20 or 90-10 affair. The difference is when to know to take the 20 or give the 70. Or something like that lah……

That makes sense, doesn't it?

.