Wednesday, June 02, 2004

A Song, Any Song

Have a song ever reminded you of anyone, anyone at all? While driving this morning, Billy Joel's "Don't Go Changing" came over the radio. That song reminded me of M, my cousin's girlfriend. I just turned seventeen then, my cousin a year older and M is my age, a few days older than me as a matter of fact. She sang that song over and over and over again during the two weeks that I was with them and I got so sick and tired of it. While they were courting, her younger sister was always there to kacau daun. Her favourite words were "Mana kakak?". And yes, I was given the task of looking after her. I'd buy her ice-cream, play badminton with her, did anything and everything, just so that she'd leave those two lovebirds alone. Oh, they're married now and have five lovely daughters. Count my fingers, five.

Songs can remind us of friends, beaus, past and present, places and unfortunately it could also remind us of people whom we'd like to forget. We are only human. When I hear Andy Gibbs "Shadow Dancing", my friend's version of it, where he says "Baby I'll lose my kapla" instead of "my head" never fails to play in my head and bring a smile to my lips. A song has helped patch up a lovers' tiff (Lionel Ritchie's "Truly"), no kidding. My favourite is Stresisand's "The Way We Were" especially when she sings "If we had the chance to do it all again. Tell me? Would we? Could we?"

Come to think of it, tell me, would we? Could we?