Monday, May 31, 2004

Doctor Doctor

How come doctors are what they are, so confident? We went to see one last Saturday. My son had what they call a cyst in his back. "Oh, it's nothing", said the doctor. "We could get it out in a jiffy". With a little bit of coaxing we managed to convince my son, Nazzim, that it's better to get it over with there and then rather than wait for a few more days. Thankfully he agreed and off we went into the operating room.

They let me in too after I promised them that I won't pass out or whatever and bless the good Dr. Bahari. My son cried when they injected the local ("Sakit!!!", he said) but other than that everything else went well. The cysts, two of them, were about the size of two tablets joined together and a slightly smaller one. We have to go back this coming Friday for a follow-up. And naturally, kids being what they are, it was McDonalds for lunch, they took over the TV for the weekend and no taekwondo lessons that day.

Ah, more to come. For their piano lessons the next day, I said I'll tell his teacher to be careful not to touch his back, for whatever reason. My daughter piped up, "Aren't you going to tell my teacher that I have a sore throat and a cold?". Yes, my dear, I'll tell your teacher that you have a sore throat and a cold. Aaah, the joys of being a parent.

P.S. You are an angel too, Dr. Kanchana.