Monday, September 26, 2011

Dr. Jane

.

A few weeks ago I was in that small city state south of our country on a business trip. I stayed at a nice hotel and we have our meals at a small lounge on the 31st floor of the hotel.

The first time I went to the lounge was for breakfast the day after I arrived.

“Good morning Dr Jane, how are you this morning?, the head waiter greeted me.

He got me mixed up with my boss – Jane is a pelat version of my boss’ Malay name. I thought I’d leave it at that, he’ll figure it out himself later. So for breakfast that day, it was Dr. Jane, Dr. Jane. Dr. Jane, Dr. Jane.

“Would you like a cup of coffee Dr. Jane?” “How was breakfast Dr. Jane?” “Will you be here long, Dr. jane?” And so on………….

The next day, it was the same – Dr. Jane, Dr. Jane. Dr. Jane, Dr. Jane……..

“Uh, I am not Dr. Jane, Dr. Jane is my colleague, he’ll be down in a few minutes, I’m…….”

Before I could say my name he said, “Oh, I’m solly Mr. H…..”, well, at least he knew my name….

So that was that, it was fun being a Dr. for a day but I’m not a PhD holder so I’ll stay with being a Mister thank you.

Dr. Jane, Dr. Jane…………….

I need a new drug…….

.