Monday, November 13, 2006

Hong Kong Phooeey

.

Aaaah……, been away a bit.

Hong Kong is nice. Nice and clean. I was expecting a place full of full-throated spits all around but there were no such thing and I can say that it is cleaner than KL. The people line up for the buses. The drivers are more considerate of other roadusers than the ones at home.

Did some shopping for the family at Temple Market, Ladies Market and Stanley Market. I turned blue on the way to Stanley Market, due to the winding road. My friend was thrilled to see me turn blue but then I told him that unless he likes the smell of puke, he’d better ask Michael Schumacher who was driving the taxi to slow down. Happiness is getting a little something for the family. And myself too. Ever seen a gun that can store twelve and fire twelve, yes, twelve rubber bands? The cats around the neighborhood better behave. The view of Hong Kong skyline from Kowloon is simply breath taking, only to be surpassed by the view of Hong Kong from Victoria's Peak. Then there was Repulse Bay. Credit must be given to the Brits for choosing that place, selling opium from it and making it what it is right now. Transportation was a cinch. You have the buses, the trains and the ferries. The taxis are a bit pricey but if there are two or better still three of you, the taxis are always better. The people are not as kiasu as I thought they’d be. They are always helpful, though some simply speak very little English, ha ha.

“You speak English?”

The answer came out “No more”. I think she wanted to say “Not much” but something else came out.

Then there was “No your shenality?”

“My what?!!”

“No your shenality?”*

Oh, oh, my shenality. I’m a Malaysian……”

I must have walked a million miles while I was there. Good thing the weather was a bit cooler than home and a lot less humid, so it helped people like like me, who sweats a lot!!!

Food was OK, like other foreign cities, it takes a bit of legwork to find halal food. When I am tired of Pakistani food at the Chungking Mansion, we could always go to this one halal Singaporean restaurant.

Hong Kong is nice.

.